Saturday 13 October 2012

Wayne Rooney: I would love full-time England captaincy after leading my country against San Marino


Last night saw Manchester United striker Rooney lead out his country on home soil for the first time in a 5-0 thrashing of San Marino which lifted them back to the top of Group H.
The 26-year-old celebrated the landmark by reaching another, netting his 30th and 31st international goals to climb to fifth in England's all-time leading scorer list.

Tuesday night's trip to Warsaw will see Gerrard reclaim the armband after returning from suspension and Rooney said: "It won't be a different way I look at the game or the way I try to do things.
"I always try to talk to my team-mates and I feel I can help them.
"It's something that I was lucky to have when I was younger and it's something which I feel it'll benefit them."
Rooney admitted he would love to skipper England full time, saying: "If you can get the opportunity to captain your country, it's something which I think - as a player - you need to grab with both hands.
"In the future, hopefully that'll happen. But, at the minute, Steven's our captain and he'll lead by example for us."
Last night's game was not the first time Rooney had captained England but it was the first at Wembley.
Source: The telegraph

No comments:

Post a Comment